Monday, December 31, 2012

Adios 2012 - Hello 2013

I've been a little busy living life and this blog tends to pay for it.

I am still in preproduction for Ghooooul!   I need to shoot it in January because I want to submit to the Viscera Film Festival and the deadline is February 28. My bosses were extremely generous and gave me the gift of cash for Christmas which will all go towards making the film. 

Speaking of deadlines, I have a big one coming up January 7th, 2013. At the end of 2010, I was planning on applying to AFI's Women Director's Workshop. I chickened out and didn't bother applying in 2011 or 2012. Over the last two years I've seen some of the films that have come out of the program and I am proud to have enough confidence to say I can do that.  

I would LOVE to participate in the program. I didn't go to film school and this would be an opportunity to immerse myself in a classroom environment and develop my script.  After three weeks in the program, you go into pre-production and then shoot your film in an environment that mimics a studio production.  All your locations are permitted. You get at least one if not two and in some cases four producers!  Every position will have at least one crew member.  This will be challenging for me because I've only worked with small crews where each person does at least three jobs and by the time the film is done I've done at least ten.

It's pretty stiff competition, they only select 8 women per year.  I am an optimist and if I don't get in,  my goal is to shoot the film and apply next year. Like the Aaliyah song says "If at first you don't succeed, dust your self off and try again".

I just completed week two of improv 101 at Upright Citizens Brigade. Yes, ME! Improv has been at the bottom of the bucket list because I didn't think I'd ever have the guts to do it.  Many of my talented actor friends (my sister included) are petrified of it.  I have a yearly goal to do at least one thing that will get me a step closer to fearless. In November I was still looking to get my fearless on and improv won. Everyone was surprised that I would try something so "not Lucy" because I'm too much of a control freak and improv is so improvised!

From the moment I signed up for the class I decided to surrender to the yes and not be afraid to make a fool of myself. Lucky for me, most of my classmates are not actors and the few actors in the workshop are good actors. Everyone is open and generous. Thank god we don't have any hijackers. I will write more about this, I go back to class on January 3rd.

As the year comes to an end, I sit in my living room in my cat pajamas. I needed a break from writing my script so I decided to write this entry.  Matt was nice enough to walk over to Cheese Cake Factory and pick up dinner. He's in the bedroom playing with the Guitarsmith I got him last Christmas. In a bit we will eat dinner and ring in the new year watching In the Mood for Love or The Twilight Zone marathon.  I'm grateful for all the great things 2012 brought me and I'm looking forward to all the changes 2013 will bring my way.

xoxo, 
Lucy

ps
I'm not a cat person but I love PJ Salvage pajamas and in my defense they were on sale for $20 and I could have sworn they were tigers. 













No comments:

Post a Comment